The British Minister of Culture would like to see a warning on the popular Netflix series in the future The Crown. Minister Oliver Dowden says in British media that he will write a letter to the streaming service this week. “I’m afraid that the generation who watch the series and have not experienced certain events will confuse fiction with fact.”
The series, which now consists of four seasons, is about the British royal family. The fourth season, which has been running since November 15, traces the lives of Prince Charles and Princess Diana from 1977 to 1990. Creator Peter Morgan previously called the series “made by creative imagination”.
The Season 4 Trailer:
“It’s a beautifully produced fictional work. And that’s why that should be made clear at the outset,” says Dowden. Currently, there are only warnings at the beginning that the series may contain sex or sexual innuendo, profanity or offensive language, and that the series may cause anxiety or tension. The advice is for people aged 12 and older.
It is not the first time that someone has suggested that it should be more clearly stated that the popular series is not truthful. Earl Spencer, brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, said earlier that he was concerned that some viewers would fully believe the storylines. “I think that it The Crown would be of great help to say at the beginning of each episode, “This is not true, but based on real events.”
Former Buckingham Palace press secretary Dickie Arbiter thinks the series dramatizes real life. “It’s an attack on Prince Charles and a bit of an attack on Princess Diana,” he told the BBC earlier.
According to actor Josh O’Connor, who plays Prince Charles in the fourth season, it is more nuanced. “What the creator of the series does so brilliantly is that he uses the historical facts and then colors the spaces between those moments. Some people want this to be the way it went, but it’s always good to remember that we are actors, not real and it is not a real story. “