There is no evidence that food is a source of transmission of the new corona-virus. Corona-viruses need an animal or human to survive and grow. That cannot be done in food. It is important to handle food hygienically and to follow the advice of the RIVM. This will prevent pathogenic bacteria and viruses from getting on food.
Safety tips about food and the corona virus:
- Wash your hands well with soap and water before and after shopping. Avoid touching your face with your hands.
- Always wash your hands well before eating and before preparing food.
- Always wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
- Do not prepare food for someone else if you have a cold or illness.
- Do not sneeze or cough over food. If you do need to sneeze or cough, do it on the inside of your elbow and use paper tissues. Wash your hands before continuing to eat (prepare).
- Do not share food that has already been on your plate or drink from the same glass. Especially if you have a cold.
- Work with clean materials and wash dishcloths, hand and tea towels at a minimum of 60° C. The virus cannot withstand heat.
Of course, the general tips for working safely in the kitchen also remain important.
Leave a Reply