Crafts with children: Theme frogs
Frogs are fun to draw and craft because the shapes are so simple and recognizable. Moreover, the development from tadpole to frog is of course very interesting for children and the creatures with their funny jumps and their strange croaking noises appeal quite to the imagination. In this article a number of frog crafts; fold a frog, clay a frog, paste a frog book and make a whole frog drilled ditch. Have fun crafting!
- Fold an oblique cross. (from corner to corner, diagonal)
- Turn the leaf over and now fold a straight cross (horizontal / vertical)
- Turn the petal over again. Grab the outer sides of the horizontal line together at the bottom, two triangles are formed.
- Place the double triangle in front of you with the long side facing you
- Fold the two points of the top triangle up
- Turn the work over and fold the two points down correctly. (Sides and points at the bottom center against each other)
- Now fold the sides out to the crease
- Turn around, decorate and the frog is ready.
You can make a nice frog pond from a blue folding leaf; Fold 16 squares, draw frog spawn and tadpoles with a black and white colored pencil, cut one line in each corner, cut a wavy edge at the sides and glue the tray together.
Clay a frog
The children make a frog out of clay; squeeze large hind legs out of a piece of clay and then small front legs. The head is small with relatively large eyes. (marbles for example) When the clay is dry, the frog can be painted nice green, and it becomes even more beautiful with ‘golden’ dots on its back. (stamping gold paint with small tacks)
Possibly a lily pad of cardboard underneath, a gold-colored painted ping-pong ball between the front legs, or a crown on his head, to depict the fairy tale “The Frog Prince”.
A frog book
Fold a ‘booklet’ from two (blue) folding leaves. (1 straight fold) Stick the story of the frog ‘from small to large’ on the eight pages of the booklet. The song: “Hello little frog can be copied and pasted on the front. The technique ‘tearing out of sitspaper paper is very suitable, because the shapes are simple and very recognizable. A staple in the middle, or use loose leaves.
You used to be small but now you are big
you were born like a fish from an egg
then you got legs from the back and the front
your tail disappeared it is really true
and then you could jump and then you were done
hello little frog in our ditch
at first you were small but now you are big
- page 1; song
- page 2; frogspawn (tear white ‘circles’ and stick a very small shred of black in the middle)
- page 3; Tadpole (black ovals with tail)
- page 4; Tadpole with hind legs and tail
- page 5; Tadpole with hind legs, front legs and tail
- page 6; frog with back legs, front legs and very short tail
- page 7; Frog without a tail
- page 8; Big green frog
The back of wallpaper is often very suitable for drawing with many children at the same time. Roll out on a number of tables one after the other or on the floor. With white washco the children can draw and color a lot of white circles (frogspawn magic, can only be seen when the ecoline is on it) make small black dots in each circle. Furthermore, they can draw tadpoles in the different stages with black crayon and the frogs with green of course. Possibly some water plants and fish.
When the children are ready, the water can go into the ditch; Apply the light blue ecoline with wide brushes. Eventually a few real reed stems could be glued in front of it. For example, hang it in the hallway, just above the ground and it looks like a real frog ditch.
See also the special: Crafts with children