Descalzos Viejos wine from Ronda
The winery, bodega Descalzos Viejos is situated in an old church on the edge of the famous gorge of Ronda in Andalusia. The vineyards are located in one of the most beautiful places in southern Spain and the wines reflect all those elements in their character that has almost nothing to do with the other wines of the main zone Vinos de Malaga, where especially the sweet wines are known.
Wines from the mountains of Malaga
The Sierras de Malaga, the mountains of Malaga are not yet well known as a wine region and that is not surprising because it has not been recognized as a subzone of the wines of Malaga for so long. However, this is an area that is very suitable for viticulture and in contrast to the sweet wines that are cultivated more against the coast in the Axarquia region, the wines of the mountains around Ronda have very different characteristics.
The order of the old barefoot
A beautifully restored monastery of the “Descalzos Viejos” (literally the old barefoot) is the place where the wines are produced. When you visit the bodega you can also admire the old frescoes of the presbytery in the church building. The 15.5 hectare domain is protected from the north wind at the foot of the famous Ronda gorge. The vineyard itself covers an area of 6 hectares and is landscaped to the south or southwest at an average altitude of 650 meters.
Climate and soil
An average rainfall of 650 mm per year is considered ideal for the production of quality wine. No further irrigation is required. The soil is originally limy, hard and has good drainage. The wines naturally have a high alcohol and glycerin content. They are soft despite the presence of a lot of polyphenol and a high acidity.
The types of wine from Descalzos Viejos
- A young wine with 50% Syrah, 35% Garnacha and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cherry red color with violet hues;
- Scent of red forest fruits with a good base of spiciness and a slight mineral touch;
- Taste of ripe fruits, slightly salty and a good acidity that betrays its Mediterranean character;
- Finish characterized by structure and a slightly dry taste, although not aggressive.
dV Vino de Espresión
- An “espresso” wine with 33% Syrah, 33% Garnacha and 33% Cabernet Sauvignon;
- Intense cherry red in color with violet edge;
- Pure and powerful aromatic fragrance with red fruits, balsamic vinegar, aromatic herbs;
- Powerful, full flavor with salt and minerals that are well structured;
- Pleasant tannins and a finish with a taste of nougat and candied fruit.
dV Conarte 2006
Wine from the special limited series of wines from Malaga with the designation ‘wine and art’
An “author” wine, coupage of different varieties of “crianza” wines (aged for at least 6 months in oak barrels);
Recommended with spicy aged cheeses, red meat and game;
The wine label is by the young artist Carlos Aires from Malaga;
An ode to Ronda.
Visit to the Descalzos Viejos winery
If you want to visit the Bodega Descalzos Viejos, it is best to make an appointment in advance with the enologist Vicente Inat (email@example.com). On the website of the bodega you can also see beautiful photos of the winery and the beautiful surroundings at the foot of the famous Ronda gorge. From the bodega it is also recommended for hikers to follow the path further down to get a nice view from below to the “Tajo” of Ronda.