Interesting facts about frost protection
- In Germany it is now stipulated by law that the water in the windshield washer system must be mixed with antifreeze. Failure to comply will result in a fine of 20 euros.
- It is easiest to buy a corresponding concentrate in stores. Depending on the price range, these agents offer different levels of frost protection, which you can find in the packaging material. This information tells you to what degree the agent provides frost protection and thus whether you can further dilute the agent or fill it in as a concentrate.
- In addition to water, antifreeze also contain alcohols that prevent freezing. Window cleaners are also included.
- You can also make antifreeze yourself, with the help of alcohol. Please note, however, that alcohol can attack your squeegees and window rubbers. In practice, there is hardly any supposed price advantage over the purchased preparations.
- If you have added special summer cleaner to your windscreen washer fluid, you should use it up before adding the antifreeze. Otherwise particles can form which, in the worst case scenario, can clog your system.
How to measure the frost resistance of your windscreen washer system
- In order to be able to check the frost protection, there are different frost protection testers. So you can use a refractometer or a spindle.
- A spindle is a device that allows you to take some water out of the expansion tank of your windshield washer system. This aid then shows you the current frost resistance on a scale.
- This is also possible with a refractometer, whereby this device is able to provide much more precise measurement results than a spindle. You can also use it to measure not only your windshield water, but also the radiator antifreeze and the density of the battery acid.
- When buying a refractometer, you need to pay attention to the types of alcohol it can measure. In the antifreeze there is usually either an isopropanol or an ethanol mixture.
- Some refractometers can only determine frost resistance for one mixture. If you use a different antifreeze, you will get incorrect results. However, there are also measuring devices that can determine frost resistance for both alcohol mixtures.