Incorrect use of the word sexism
The word sexism, or endings of this word, is frequently used incorrectly. The letters sex are part of this word. This is probably the reason people often use sexism to refer to anything to do with sex. Sexism, however, has nothing to do with sex, but everything to do with sex, gender.
What is Sexism?
Sexism means ‘discrimination based on sex, gender’. Despite years of emancipation in the Western world, expressions of sexism are still present all around us. Sometimes overt, sometimes subtle. Subtle sexism often stems from unconscious bias. For example, that men would be better at beta sciences and women in alpha sciences or that men would be better at driving and women would be better at needlework. Even people who claim to see and treat men and women as equal often have some sexist thoughts stored somewhere in their subconscious mind that pop up every now and then.
A woman with balls
An expression like, “She’s a woman with balls.” testifies to sexism. This statement indicates that this woman has so much guts that she is just like a man. This implies that ?? have guts ?? is a trait that is typically masculine. Clearly an expression of sexism.
We see less subtle sexism in forms of sexual violence or trafficking in women. There are also several places in the world where different laws apply to women than to men. For example, women are not allowed to initiate divorce, are punished more harshly for the same offense, or are even prohibited from driving without a man next to them.
The word sexism
- Sexism: noun (There is sexism in that country)
- Sexist: adjective (That’s a sexist comment)
- Sexist: noun (He is a sexist)
Examples of proper use
The word sexism is properly used in the following sample sentences:
- That company is sexist, they only hire men in higher positions.
- She is a sexist, she does not dare to entrust any man with the care of her children.
- It’s a bunch of sexists, they treat women like inferior creatures.
Examples of improper use
The word sexism is misused in the following sample sentences:
- He makes a sexist joke (if it’s a dirty joke that isn’t offensive to women otherwise).
- He’s a real sexist, he strips everyone out with his eyes.
- I think she’s so sexist, she only talks about hooking up on men all day.