Microwave: especially for the quick and easy bite
Even the best cookers do not always have time to cook extensively. As for many, a microwave is a godsend for them. Many dishes lend themselves to preparation in a microwave and are then ready quickly. It takes some getting used to working with a microwave for which various cookbooks are available. However, for newcomers to the microwave world, the initial purchase of such a device is not that easy. In Flanders, a microwave is usually referred to as a microwave oven or simply a microwave.
Solo microwave or combination microwave
Microwaves come in different types. The simplest is only with microwave function. A solo microwave is primarily intended for quickly heating up and defrosting. But many devices also have the option of grilling and a little more extensive are the combi microwaves. A combi has both a microwave function and an oven function. Most kitchen setups often have a large oven, but having a small oven is often easy to quickly cook or heat a small dish. In those cases, a combi microwave is a godsend.
From defrosting to cooking in one appliance
A big advantage of a combi microwave is that a dish can be treated in one device from defrosting to cooking. The possibilities lie in the areas of crisp function, grill function, cooking function, microwave function, oven function and steam function.
Separate or built-in
In addition to a distinction in functions, microwave ovens can also differ from each other because devices are separate or can be built-in. Depending on the kitchen layout or the space in the kitchen cabinets, a specific model is chosen. Naturally, the dimensions must be carefully monitored during installation. With a good choice, a built-in microwave can form a nice, sleek whole with the other equipment and cabinets.
Operation of the microwave in outline
The operation of a magnetron is based on the production of microwaves by moving electrons in a magnetic field in a vacuum tube, creating electromagnetic radiation of a fixed frequency.
Since the more general use of the microwave, more and more ready-to-eat meals are appearing in supermarkets that have been specially developed to be heated in the microwave. Preparing such a meal is then only a matter of minutes.
Suitable and unsuitable materials
To cook food in a microwave, do not place that food in all types of containers or other holding materials. For example, metal and its metallic foil are not suitable for use in the microwave because the radiation reflects on it. Incidentally, there are special packaging that is suitable. Also, not all plastics can be used safely. Only plastic containers marked as suitable for microwave use are safe to use. Glass and pottery are safe, provided there are no metal decorations that can generate sparks.
Special features of microwave ovens
Not all microwaves have the same capabilities. Many have one or more special functions that can be decisive in the purchase decision. It does take some research to compare the various microwaves, which can also be done at home on the internet. Some examples of special functions are:
- Samsung MS23F301EAS: Twenty pre-set cooking settings with which a freshly prepared meal is on the table within a few minutes.
- Samsung F300G: An ECO mode that ensures very low power consumption in standby.
- Siemens HB84K552: CookControl automatic roasting machine with up to 68 automatic programs for perfect results.
- Miscellaneous: The old appliance is taken along free of charge when the new microwave is brought and placed in the desired place.
- Miele H6300BMCLST: Cleaning is very easy because the unique, special enamel coating deals with stubborn dirt. Preparation space, baking trays, sliding rails and combi rack have a PerfectClean non-stick coating.
- Daewoo KOR-6L3B: The special Concave Reflex System ensures that the food is heated equally from all sides.
- Samsung MC35J8088LT / EN: Dishes are ready faster without losing flavor with the Hot Blast setting that ensures a strong air flow through the oven.