‘Night out’ tip: Wok out
You see it more and more, wok restaurants or a Chinese restaurant with a wok section. Wok has become Big Business. It’s the fast food from the East, but healthier. How exactly does wok cooking work and why is it so popular?
You do wok with a wok. This is a semicircular hollow pan that is mainly used in the Eastern kitchen. The pan is heated red-hot by a gas burner so that dishes are stir-fried super fast. Due to the rapid rusting of the steel, the wok is cleaned with only water and a wok brush after preparing the dish. Because the pan is cleaned in this way, a kind of non-stick layer of carbon is created.
Wok in a restaurant
When you are going to wok in a wok restaurant, you will first have to put together a dish of vegetables, meat and / or fish. You can have these vegetables prepared on a grill table (Teppan Yaki) or have them stir-fried by a cook. When you have the dish stir-fried, you will be asked in which sauce the dish should be prepared.
Most common sauces:
- Special (Chef’s Sauce)
- Sweet and sour (classic Chinese sauce with pineapple aroma)
- Garlic (Sauce based on garlic)
- Gon Boa (Spicy sauce with garlic, sambal and oyster sauce)
- Tausi (black soybeans, garlic and chili pepper)
- Soya (Japanese herbs, sake and ginger)
- Curry (curry, coconut milk and Thai spices)
Always take small portions, so that you can try out more different sauce and dish combinations.
When the dish is prepared, you can expand the dish at the hot and cold bar. Here you can serve traditional dishes such as noodles, fried rice, sushi, salads and chinese soups.
The dessert consists of an ice bar where you can scoop your own ice cream and add whipped cream. You can also opt for fresh fruit. For children, dessert is usually the highlight of the evening, as they can then make their own dessert.
Benefits of Wok
- Eat when and what you want
- A wok evening is a social evening
- Wok is ideal for large groups
- The restaurants often use an All-in-one price, you know what you have lost
- Pretty healthy
- It can be very busy on weekends, so you have to wait a while before your dish can be prepared.
Most wok restaurants have an all-in price excluding drinks, but there are also restaurants that offer a price including drinks.
Take Away Restaurants
These restaurants specialize in wok dishes that you can take away. Usually you cannot compose the dishes yourself but order from a menu. You can choose between rice or noodles with the dish. Everything is packed in a handy cardboard box that also stays warm for a long time.
Wok restaurants nearby
It is best to search for it via Google maps with the keyword wok [lokatie]. You will then see a map of the wok restaurants in the area.