Swedish rhubarb pie with strawberries, a true delicacy
Swedish rhubarb pie with strawberries can rightly be called a Scandinavian delicacy, this recipe is very refined in all its simplicity and the combination of strawberries with rhubarb has a delicious taste. It is a recipe from the north of Sweden and has been eaten there since time immemorial as soon as the first fresh rhubarb can be cut at the beginning of the short but often intense Swedish summer. Intense because the further north you go, it remains unusually long in the summer and the temperatures can certainly be very pleasant. The way the cake is prepared is also quite surprising, it is certainly an unusual but effective way of baking cake!
Swedish cuisine, rich traditions
Swedish cuisine can certainly be called refined in certain respects, there are exquisite flavor combinations and, for example, they do not shy away from combining meat with fish in a refined way. The extensive Swedish smörgåsbord is world famous, this buffet consists of all kinds of delicious meat and fish dishes, salads and delicious desserts.
The Swedish rhubarb pie with strawberries fits perfectly in this picture and is a favorite of many Swede. Rhubarb is now available almost all year round and then comes from the greenhouse, especially in England a lot of rhubarb is grown. Cold ground rhubarb is available from March to August, it has a much thicker stem and is sold without leaves.
Recipe for Swedish rhubarb pie with strawberries
As you probably know, rhubarb is naturally quite acidic, this is because it contains a large amount of oxalic acid and that is why quite a bit of sugar is used in this cake to soften the taste, using less is not really an option.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 kilo of rhubarb
- 300 grams of strawberries
- 150 grams of ice-cold butter
- 300 grams of sifted flour
- 350 grams of white caster sugar
- 250 grams of granulated sugar
- 2 sachets of vanilla sugar
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
Preparation of the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C and grease an oven dish with a diameter of about 25-30 cm,
- wash the strawberries, let them drain, then remove the crowns and cut them in half,
- wash the rhubarb stems, dry them and cut them into smaller pieces about a centimeter long,
- put the rhubarb pieces in a bowl, sprinkle the granulated sugar on top and work it through carefully,
- first put the halved strawberries in the greased baking dish and put the sugared rhubarb on top,
- in a bowl, stir together the sifted flour, the brown sugar and the vanilla sugar,
- sprinkle this mixture evenly over the rhubarb,
- use a cheese slicer to make thin flakes of the ice-cold butter and place on top,
- sprinkle the almond shavings on top,
- bake the cake at 200 ° C for about 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown,
- during the baking process you will see that the sugar will caramelize and turn golden,
- let the cake cool down after baking, when left at room temperature for a while the surface will get really crispy.
Finish the cake with a garnish of strawberries and mint leaves, serve with scoops of vanilla ice cream, enjoy!