Children are not the same as children.
It always depends on the age of the children. Clear. You can talk to young people very differently than you talk to toddlers and toddlers. That is why we concentrate on the golden mean, so to speak: small children who still need a variety of entertainment in order to make the trip without any major problems.
Prepare first. Then start!
The better you prepare for the trip with your children, the greater the chance that everyone on board will arrive at their holiday destination as relaxed as possible. Our tips for preparation:
Drive off just before bedtime. The little ones are often asleep for the first time and wake up when the landscape has changed significantly.
Just before departure, openly and honestly explain to the kids how long the journey will take. If children still have no sense of time and cannot do anything with the specification “10 hours”, they can also do it in smaller bites: “The journey takes so long until we have taken 8 breaks!”
There is a surprise bag before you start your journey. Filled with a few gadgets such as magnetic games, felt-tip pens, headphones, tablet, sweets to celebrate the day, drinks, a new cuddly toy…. Small lots are also popular as vouchers. It can then say: “Wish you the next song” or “Papa should imitate a cow” … This makes the trip a real experience!
You can also put the entire trip under a motto. For example “the pirate ride”. You sing pirate songs, maybe you have pirate hats on, go on a treasure hunt in a parking lot and find a small box of sweets that dad or mom secretly hide by placing them unnoticed … the possibilities are endless.
Get a knee tray. That’s worth gold. Nothing can roll down with it and you can play, paint, eat with Matchbox cars …
Very important: Whether radio plays or films: Make sure that you download everything in advance so that your kids can listen to and watch everything offline. It is better to address the time limit before switching on. For example: “this one film and then there is a break”. Or “during the next break, we’ll turn the tablet off again for a while”.
Take a break every two hours or so. And then it’s time to work out! Sometimes with a football game, throwing stuffed animals, organizing a race, jumping gymnasium with music … just get your body going at full speed.
Inspirations for driving
Sometimes it’s the simple things that are really fun. For example, an occupation that everyone in the car is involved in. This strengthens the sense of community, makes time fly by and often creates a lively atmosphere on board! Here are a few ideas:
- Everyone knows the game “I pack my suitcase and take with me …”.
- Search game: “Whoever sees the first car that is purple gets a piece of candy.” Doesn’t always have to be the color. It is also possible: “A car with at least 6 people on board” or “Who can spot a child waving while driving by and waving back?” And so on.
- “Make a sentence with the letters on the license plate. From the car in front of us ”.
- The AZ game: Everyone agrees on a category before the game, e.g. animals. Or children’s names or … then everyone in turn has to have the solution to hand depending on the letter. It gets even more fun with a stopwatch.
- Make noises! Everyone works out beforehand which noise they are making in which vehicle. “Bum-Bum” for trucks, “beep-beep” for caravans and so on.
- Play the good, age-old but still popular game “I see something that you don’t see”.
- Telling a story together. Everyone is only allowed to say three or four sentences and the next person has to pick up on it and tell others. Just set the motto beforehand, e.g. “What happened the other day on the beach” and off you go.
- Word worm: The first person starts with a word. The following person has to find a word that ended with the last letter of the previous word and so on.
- Do not laugh! One person in the car has to try to make someone laugh on board. With jokes, grimaces, sounds … the one who has to laugh first is the joker in the next round.
- Who am I? Everyone has a turn and can be “squeezed out” by the others one after the other. The respondent thinks about what or who he wants to be. An animal, a movie character, a toy … and the others have to guess.