Water kefir: gift from the Prophet Muhammad
Water kefir is a drink that is widely consumed by Muslims. That is a bit strange, because it is very slightly alcoholic and Muslims are not allowed to drink alcohol. Still, the water kefir grains are a gift from the Prophet Muhammad to the people of the North Caucasus and therefore many Muslims drink it. The drink that is made with the help of the grains is very slightly alcoholic (1 to 2 percent), but also nourishing. And anyone can make water kefir themselves.
Water kefir has been passed down from generation to generation for centuries
The culture of the water kefir grains and the kefir drink has been passed on from one generation to the next for centuries. This is also possible because the grains grow and rejuvenate. Yet they are still very active after centuries. The kefir grains are transparent, soft and very fragile. In addition, they are angular and look like crystals. Anyone who delves into the composition will discover that they are formed by polysaccharides that are linked by glucose. It is a collaboration of lactic acid bacteria and fermentation in one.
How do kefir grains grow?
Kefir grains need two things to grow. These are:
A certain sweet-sour ratio is also required to make an optimal drink. By making the drink in a closed jar, the grains get more structure and much more carbon dioxide is formed. The kefir grains convert the sugars into a slightly alcoholic drink with bubbles in 48 hours. Due to the process, some of the nutrients that are put in the jar end up in the kefir drink.
How do you make water kefir yourself?
Of course, the grains are needed to make kefir drink. They are for sale or someone else who has them gives some of them. This is very easy, because the granules often grow very quickly, so that after a few weeks a lot can be distributed. To make the drink, a 1-liter preserving jar or canning jar that can be closed is required.
Recipe for water kefir
For kefir drink you need:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of kefir grains
- 3 dried figs
- a tablespoon of raisins
- half an unsprayed lemon
- An extra spoonful of sugar (or jaggery, honey, or maple syrup)
Preparation of kefir:
- Put all the ingredients in the jar
- Mix everything well until the sugar, honey or maple syrup has dissolved
- Place the pot in a light place, but not in the sun
- After an hour the granules start to work, after 6 hours it is very life in the pot and after 24 hours it becomes a bit quieter. The fruits that have absorbed much of the moisture then float at the top, while the grains are at the bottom.
- Then take the fruit out of the jar, squeeze the lemon into the drink, strain the drink through a cloth and collect the grains
- Rinse the granules under cold water under the tap
- Then put the kefir in sealable bottles
- The kefir can now be kept for a few days, but it is getting more and more sour because the grains are still working
- The granules can now be reused immediately
- They can also be preserved by keeping them just under water with a little sweetener in a sealed jar or container in the refrigerator.
How should water kefir taste?
Kefir should taste slightly sour, but fresh. In addition, a kind of bubble can be felt. If the taste is bitter or sour, the wrong products have been used or something more sweet or slightly more fruit should be added. Finding the right proportions is sometimes a bit complicated, but who experiments what will get there.
Other kefir flavors
Who knows how to make kefir drink and how to create the right taste, can also get started with other things. The dried fruit can be replaced with fresh fruit or a combination of fresh and dried fruit, for example. The following can be used for this:
- Fresh fruit juice
- Dried pineapple
- Dried manga
- Dried apricots
- Herbs can also be added such as lemon balm or mint.
The effect of kefir
Kefir has a good effect on the body. The drinks:
- Acts as a probiotic with beneficial yeasts
- It helps with intestinal and skin problems
- It aids in digestion
- It helps against stress
- It helps against listlessness
- It strengthens the immune system and it vitalizes
- Ensures a longer life